From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:40 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Minister convicted for teaching parishioners "to punish children
by hitting them on the bare buttocks with wooden dowels"

I think where you and I disagree, Eugene, is on the question of what it means
to advocate illegal action "at some indefinite future time." I think if the
pre-condition on which the illegal action is to be based is known to the
speaker and the audience to be certain and to occur in the near future, then
Brandenburg and Hess  are satisfied. If a minister urges his congregants to
smoke marijuana, without more, I view that as general advocacy. If the minister
urges his congregants to give marijuana to any child they see when they take
their own kids to school -- when it is clear to everyone that the congregants
take their kids to school everyday and, necessarily, will see other children
when they do so -- I view that as urging imminent unlawful conduct.

It's not just that the illegal conduct would occur on many occasions. It is
that the condition which will trigger the illegal action is certain and that
the first of those many occasions when the illegal conduct is to occur is going
to be in the very near future.

Do you think a minister could be prosecuted consistent with the First Amendment
under my hypothetical, Eugene?

Alan

From:
religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>