Actually, my criticism of Marci was not because she was a woman
(surprise!), but because it seemed to me that for whatever reason her argument
was framed in a way that was as unsubstantive and as lacking in concreteness as
possible.  As I noted in the e-mail to which Marci responded, there is a
plausible but contestable explanation for how enacting a RFRA might indeed
indirectly increase the rate of child sexual abuse.  But that’s an argument
that, it seems to me, is most helpfully offered by explaining its specifics,
and in the process noting its limitations.

                Instead, Marci’s first post on the subject framed the matter as
“Most Americans when they understand that a RFRA opens the door to
discrimination or child sex abuse or medical neglect quickly cool on the
extremism of a RFRA.”  “[A] RFRA opens the door to ... child sex abuse”?
That’s rhetoric, or hyperbole, or perhaps just careless wording.  “Opens the
door” suggests that something that before wasn’t happening now would be
happening, or at least (as in the “discrimination” and “medical neglect” items)
something that before wasn’t legal now would be legal.  Of course, child sex
abuse is a very serious crime with or without a RFRA; at most, what RFRA might
do is diminish the incentives that one set of institutions has to maximally
combat child sex abuse.

In another post, Marci writes, “RFRA, as we all know, does not mirror the First
Amendment, and the North Dakota RFRA would have triggered strict scrutiny even
without a showing that the burden was ‘substantial’ -- so we can be certain
that it could be more problematic in child sex abuse and medical neglect
cases.”  Can we really be so “certain,” given the rather modest difference in
wording, the fact that court decisions providing protection to churches are
generally entanglement cases, not RFRA cases, and the fact that most courts
don’t accept either entanglement or free exercise/RFRA challenges?  (Or is the
sentence saved by the fact that it only says “we can be certain that it could
be more problematic,” in which case the claim is made accurate by being made
basically empty?)

Most recently, Marci’s latest response offers one case citation: Gibson v
Brewer.  But it might be worth noting that Gibson accepts a First Amendment
defense to employer negligence claims on entanglement and endorsement grounds,
with a dollop of Kedroff.  It didn’t rely on the Sherbert/Yoder/RFRA strict
scrutiny model.  Again, instead of concrete analysis, what I’m seeing is
one-liners and broad assertions.

I would not normally publicly criticize another list member’s work this way,
but Marci’s implicit accusation of sexism requires me to explain just why her
argument struck me as more “rhetoric” than substance, and would have regardless
of her sex.

Eugene