Excellent points, both in the first paragraph and in the third.

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Graber, Mark
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 6:46 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Religious exemptions in ND

May I suggest this is too strong.  A great many constitutional rights increase
to some degree the possibility that child abuse will occur, not be detected and
not be adequately punished.  Consider in this respect the Fourth and Fifth
Amendments, at least as presently interpreted (and I suspect most of us would
not agree with an interpretive rule that said government does not violate the
Fourth and Fifth Amendment whenever doing so might increase to any degree the
possibility that a crime will not be committed, not be detected, and not be
punished.  So we might assume that a) protections for religious freedom will
have some negative consequences, including some severe negative consequences
but b) that this is true for pretty much all constitutional rights.

So the issue is how much do we risk because we value religious freedom
(remembering that a strategy of risk nothing will have other severe bad
consequences.

In this vein, may I suggest that the present alternatives are not helpful.
SMITH seems to suggest a rational basis test that would allow government to
severely burden religious practice whenever doing so has any appreciable
tendency to prevent, detect, or punish crime.  Many RFRAs suggest a compelling
interest test that probably puts too high a burden on government to do a
variety of acts (not just in the area of criminal justice-so even if you think,
as I do, that preventing child abuse is obviously a compelling government
interest, you might still think the compelling interest standard too strong in
other cases).

Strikes me that one thing we might discuss is what that in-between standard
looks like.

Mark A. Graber