Folks:  I'm trying to make an argument using religious contributions as an
analogy, and wanted to make sure I'm not missing something in the thing I'm
analogizing to.

I wanted to say something about the "protecting shareholders" rationale for
limiting corporate campaign-related speech, and consider an analogy to
corporate contributions to religious organizations (whether those contributions
would go entirely to religious uses, or would also partly promote the
charitable function of the organization).  As I understand the "protecting
shareholders" argument, it goes something like this:  Many people don't want to
have their money used to support or oppose candidates or ballot measures, even
when the use is indirect (i.e., when they have rights under a retirement fund,
the retirement fund buys stock in a corporation, and then the corporation
spends the money, based on its managers' judgment that spending the money would
be good for business).  Moreover, it's not so easy for people to avoid this,
since many people can't meaningfully control where their retirement money is
being invested.  Therefore, there's a sufficiently compelling interest in
preventing this imposition on such involuntary shareholders by banning
corporations from spending money to support or oppose candidates or ballot
measures.

My questions:  (1)  Has anyone similarly argued that states should bar
corporate donations to religious organizations, on the theory that this
"protects shareholders" from having their money used to support religious
beliefs they disagree with?  (2)  Would such a prohibition be constitutionally
permissible, or would it violate the Lukumi Babalu / McDaniel
no-discrimination-against-religion principle?

My inclination is to say that it wouldn't be proper, and would likely even be
unconstitutional, to bar such corporate donations, and that "protecting
shareholders" isn't a sufficient reason for such a bar - and it likewise
wouldn't be as to a bar on corporate expenditures on campaign-related speech.
But I wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed some arguments, or some
situations in which some such bar has indeed been imposed.

I'm not talking here about the perennial question of whether public money can
be given to various religious organizations; I'm speaking of hypothetical laws
that would bar corporate funds from being given to such organizations.  (Note
also that I'm not talking about evenhanded application of the business judgment
rule to foreclose contributions that can't reasonably be seen as furthering the
corporate interest; assume the prohibition also extends to contributions that
do further the corporate interest, for instance because they build goodwill.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback people might have,