I don't think it changes my analysis, since I've all along
acknowledged that there are plausible medical arguments in favor of
circumcision.  I'm hesitant to treat the AAP statement as materially changing
that, since I take it that there's some disagreement among pediatric groups -
especially internationally -- even now.  (The statement does make it even more
unlikely that any U.S. jurisdiction would ban infant circumcision - and likely
makes it morally and practically unjustifiable for the jurisdiction to make
that decision - but any such ban was unlikely even before this statement.)

Given this situation, what is the right result?  As I mentioned in my July 4
message, http://lists.ucla.edu/pipermail/religionlaw/2012-July/026058.html, my
view is generally this:

(1)  People should generally have the power to make medical decisions for
themselves.

(2)  Infants and children can't make such decisions.

(3)  Yet some such medical decisions must be made quickly, before the child
becomes mature enough to decide.

(4)  We therefore delegate this power to make medical decisions to the parents.
 (Indeed, Parham v. J.R. states, whether or not correctly, that this is a
constitutional mandate.)

            Circumcision was a reasonable medical decision before the AAP
statement - precisely because the matter was uncertain - and it is a reasonable
medical decision now; I think parents who make such a medical decision should
indeed be free to do that.  The interesting question is what happens if the
medical evidence eventually ends up being contrary, or if the parents make a
decision for nonmedical reasons.

            I will say that focusing on the views of pediatricians here is
good, because it focuses on what I think is the right question: what is in the
best interest of the child whose body is being pretty much irreversibly
altered, and not what the parents prefer or on what is in the interest of
religious communities.