Can I ask a quick question for people like Marci, Marty, and others who
doubt the existence of a “substantial burden”?

What about United States v. Lee?  The Amish object to paying Social Security
taxes.  The government makes them.  The decision to use the taxes for Social
Security is the government’s, not the Amish.  The Amish say, “Well, we
object to giving you money to pay for that.”  The Court says there’s a
burden.  Isn’t this case just Lee again?  What am I missing?  (If I’ve
missed earlier posts discussing this, I’m sorry.)

Best, Chris