From: "Alan Hurst" <alan.hu...@aya.yale.edu>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:33:30 PM
Subject: Re: A right not to be compelled to create expression?

I'm pretty sure that Eugene is correct--freelance wedding photographs
are generally protected under the category of pictorial, graphic, or
sculptural works, and as such are not eligible to be works for hire.
(Photographs submitted to magazines or newspapers are treated
differently, as they are contributions to a collective work.)
Ownership of the copyright may be assigned, but the author of the work
for purposes of copyright law remains the photographer regardless of
any prior agreement between the parties.

Eugene is also correct that it's hard to see what this has to do with
the photographer's Free Speech rights. Regardless of who the author is
for purposes of copyright law, the photographer is clearly creating
the expression contained in the photographs by selecting the shots,
composing and framing them, Photoshopping them, etc.