From: Paul Horwitz <phorw...@hotmail.com<mailto:phorw...@hotmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:38 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu<mailto:religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>>
Subject: Re: Warner v. City of Boca Raton

Hopefully this is not ad hominem! I don't see anything unique about this in
RFRA. It is a standard concern with any legal test that involves the use of
standards, balancing, and other questions of judicial application in the case.
It is true of vast swaths of constitutional law and common law. See, e.g.,
Posner's discussion in Reflections on Judging of the difficulties of framing
legal tests given the plasticity and imprecision of language. It is what leads
some legal thinkers--but not Posner, in all cases--to favor the use of rules
and formalism. But it's not unique to religion, religious freedom, or RFRA.

To this I would add that 1) rules and formalism front-load but do not eliminate
the problem of judicial discretion; 2) although the problem Marci raises is
quite genuine, not everyone agrees that eliminating balancing or judicial
discretion root and branch are necessary and indefeasible elements of whatever
"the rule of law" is; 3) whether rules or standards are preferable in
particular areas is better analyzed, in my view, as a matter of pragmatic
weighing and institutional analysis than by invoking the charged and protean
terms of the rule of law; and 4) whether such decisions constitute a violation
of the oath is contestable for similar reasons, and we're better off just
asking whether particular decisions are right or wrong given the legal and
factual materials in play. (Just as we would in asking whether, say, a court
soundly decided a case involving a clear and present danger or proximate cause
or reasonable person inquiry).

Regards,

Paul Horwitz

On Dec 3, 2013, at 10:13 AM, "Marci Hamilton"