From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2013 10:53 AM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: The clergy-penitent privilege and burdens on third parties

I think the history of the privilege is that it was first protected for
Catholics, because of its sacramental nature and the very strong teaching, and
then extended to other faiths by analogy and to avoid what looked to some like
denominational discrimination. I’m pretty sure about that chronology; I’m
inferring the causation without having done the historical work to verify it.

The peyote service is the central act of worship in the Native American Church;
I don’t know if they use the word sacrament. But Smith and Black (the other
plaintiff) were not members of the church; they were exploring.

It is generally illusory to enact toleration, and say that religious minorities
can live among you, if you then prosecute them for acts essential to their
faith. The force of that point is weaker with respect to less important
religious practices, although I think it never goes to zero.
Douglas Laycock
Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Virginia Law School
580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, VA  22903
     434-243-8546