The literature on this question, as a legal question. Is of course growing like
Topsy. But I am not sure that you are asking the same question. Because this
country does not tend to privilege conscience qua conscience to the same degree
as religion, the question usually asked is why religion is special as against
ostensibly similar conscience claims. But your question seems to apply equally
to either--and may, indeed, amount to asking why any and every individual
claim, say of autonomy or dignity, is not subjected to some form of
consequential analysis and balancing.

A few other observations:

1) Along one relevant axis we do treat, eg., medical claims to accommodation in
the same way as we treat religious accommodation claims. Both raise questions
of the epistemic ability or legitimacy of legal decision-makers, and involve
substantial deference to the decisions of outside experts, although in the case
of medicine a) we are, or more often pretend we are, able to second-guess those
claims to a greater degree, and b) those questions involve a less plural
interpretive community.

2) In both cases, there are underlying normative issues that cannot be fully
answered by the expert community. Even under strict scrutiny regimes we may,
for normatively charged reasons, prefer compelling state interests to religious
claims. Even where there is medical or other expert consensus--on, say, the
capacity of a fetus to live outside the womb or of an individual to decide
whether to end his life, or the environmental risks presented by nuclear
power--that consensus does not tell us what we ought to do. At best, we can
more or less carefully separate the two kinds of questions and argue about who
ought to have the authority to decide each of them. That, to refer back to the
earlier discussion, is probably the core academic responsibility in this area.

3) There are arguably some core conscience claims outside of religion that we
do treat essentially as black box decisions, at least in individual cases,
including many equality and speech claims. Having decided to privilege artistic
or political speech, for instance, we don't ask why Andres Serrano needed Piss
Christ not to be Waterlogged Christ, or rank his artistic impulses against
those of other artists, or do much by way of balancing Serrano's artistic needs
against the needs of the community.

4) Having started down the normative road, we might  (and sometimes do, but we
could always do so) just as well ask why we privilege community needs over
individual claims, the state over other normative or interpretive communities,
equality over liberty, ostensibly secular reasons over religious ones, etc.