Let me try to respond to Chip's post. He asks two basic questions. (1) Why
should we be any more willing to accommodate religious objectors to same-sex
marriage than we are willing to accommodate religious objectors to inter-racial
marriages. (Or more broadly why accommodate discrimination against gays and
lesbians any more than we would accommodate discrimination against
African-Americans.) (2) Why should we try to distinguish between sincere
religious objectors to same-sex marriage and bigots since it is probably
impossible to do that accurately, mistakes will be made, and, in any case, the
discrimination causes real harm to the victims of discrimination in both cases?

These are good questions, and they are hard questions that are not easy to
answer. I do not dispute that there are strong arguments opposing my position
on these issues. But I think my take on this issues is a serious position as
well.

First, let me make clear that I think Chip and I agree on some important
points. Discrimination against gays and lesbians and racial discrimination is
seriously hurtful. As Chip says, the "refusal to serve some classes of people
hurts them (stigma, insult, indignity, and sometimes material harm)." I also
think he recognizes that there are some sincere religious individuals who
oppose same-sex marriage and are not bigots or "phobes." Finally, my guess is
that he and I would probably agree on 90% or more of the situations in which a
conflict might arise as to whether or not to accommodate religious objectors to
same-sex marriage -- and we would agree that an accommodation is not warranted.

On to Chip's questions. As to his first question, I do think race
discrimination is a unique evil for American society and for our legal system.
I think slavery was a horror that cannot be analogized easily to other wrongs
-- terrible as the other wrongs may be. I think the system of violent
subjugation of African-Americans for the following 100 years was staggering in
its evil. And racism is not something that our society seems capable of putting
behind us. It seems to have infected the marrow of our culture and society. I
have been delighted with the speed with which American culture seems to be
changing with regard to gay and lesbian rights and legal recognition of same
sex marriages. I feel no such optimism with regard to the role played by racism
in our society.

Also, I do not think that race discrimination is the only model or analogy for
thinking about civil rights laws and anti-discrimination principles. We
prohibit discrimination against women, against religious minorities, against
the disabled and the aged. Much of that discrimination has been and is
invidious. It is hurtful in all the ways that discrimination against gays and
lesbians is hurtful. Quite a bit of it has been justified by religious beliefs
and some of it still is. When a religious nonprofit refuses to hire a Jew or a
Moslem, they may be doing so based on sincere beliefs about the need for, and
obligations requiring, religious homogeneity in the work environment. Or they
may be prejudiced. Either way, being denied a job you need that you are
qualified to perform because of your religion is a hurtful experience.

Despite the harm caused by such discrimination, I think both as a
constitutional matter and a statutory matter, we are willing to allow more
exceptions, more accommodations of one kind or another, with regard to these
other forms of discrimination  than we are with race. So yes I think race is
different. I also do not think I am suggesting that discrimination against gays
and lesbians does not involve serious harm when I suggest that we should treat
it as seriously as we treat discrimination against Jews and Moslems. Yet we
accommodate discrimination on the basis of religion by religious nonprofits
even for jobs that do not appear to have any serious religious dimension to
them. And I do not believe that this discrimination is cost free.

With regard to discrimination on grounds other than race, and in particular
with regard to discrimination on the basis of religion, I think we accommodate
discriminatory behavior on the part of religious individuals in some limited
circumstances defined categorically. We don't do the kind of case by case
sorting that Chip rejects as futile.

Jim Oleske in a recent post wrote about how we accomplished that kind of
sorting by separating the world into different spheres. Nonprofit religious
organizations could discriminate but commercial enterprises were forbidden to
do so.

I think what we are trying to do is identify categories of circumstances where
accommodations may be appropriate because the likelihood of sincere religious
beliefs as opposed to bigotry is higher and the harm caused to the victims of
discrimination is lower. I'm not sure that the nonprofit/for profit distinction
is adequate to do this job. Nonprofit organizations can dominate areas of life.
They often receive government support even if they are religiously affiliated.
There are some religious nonprofit organizations that I think should not be
permitted to discriminate against people of other faiths or gays and lesbians
with regard to hiring, the provision of goods and services or anything else.
Most of the time the religious nonprofit category works, but sometimes it
doesn't and we can and should identify those circumstances and treat them
differently.

Similarly, most of the time, discrimination by for-profit businesses on the
basis of religion or sexual orientation should be prohibited. But there are
circumstances in which a business or professional caters to a limited religious
market. Assume an orthodox Jewish caterer follows all the dietary and other
regulations in providing her services. Her advertisements are through media
directed at the Orthodox Jewish community. Her clients are overwhelmingly
Orthodox Jews. And she believes her faith forbids her to cater an interfaith
wedding or a same-sex wedding. Should we accommodate her religious beliefs?
There is no reason to doubt her sincerity. She isn't singling out same-sex
couples for discriminatory treatment. She refuses to facilitate or support a
range of practices that violate her religious beliefs.

I also believe that the harm caused by accommodating this Jewish caterer is
lower than the harm caused by accommodating other businesses engaged in
discrimination. Part of the reason is that this caterer operates in a very
limited market. But there is another reason. A colleague of mine recently
suggested to me that one of the reasons he was willing to accept discrimination
against same-sex couples by nonprofit religious organizations, but not by
for-profit businesses is that it was one thing to know that you can't enter a
church's door and expect your relationship to be treated with respect. You know
what the church stands for. It is another thing entirely when you enter a hotel
or bakery that is ostensibly open to the public -- except that you and your
spouse (and only you and your spouse) will be turned away when you ask for
services.

I think accommodating businesses that cater to a limited religious market is
more like accommodating the religious organization. Indeed, I think these
accommodations cause less harm than accommodating large religious
organizations. Consider another example. A marriage counselor describes his
professional services as Christian Marriage Counseling. His advertisements
assure prospective clients that he will provide counseling that is consistent
with the traditional Christian beliefs to which they adhere. He refuses to
counsel same-sex couples or some couples of other faiths. He believes he is
obligated by his faith to make people aware of their need to come closer to G-d
to deal with their difficulties and he cannot do that for non-Christian couples
or same-sex couples. Should we accommodate this counselor who may be very
effective for his identified clientele, but will not serve couples of other
faiths or same-sex couples?

These aren't the only circumstances in which I think accommodations may be
appropriate both for religious discrimination and discrimination against
same-sex couples. But it is a place to begin the conversation.

There are two other reasons why I think the attempt to sort out appropriate
accommodations for objectors to same-sex marriage are worth the effort. First,
as everyone knows, I think protecting religious liberty is important --
particularly for religious minorities. Arguments for refusing to protect
religious liberty often make a sorting out kind of argument. How can we
distinguish between the sincere conscientious objector and the coward? How do
know whether a worker wants Saturday off to observe the Sabbath or to go to
football games? If we allow Native Americans to use Peyote in their religious
rituals, we will have to sort out requests to use other drugs in other
allegedly religious ceremonies. And these other cases may involve multiple
motives just as Chip describes. Conscientious objectors may be frightened of
going off to war. The worker taking the Sabbath off may also be thinking of the
extra time he  gets to spend with his family. Maybe some people enjoy using
peyote for religious purposes. Protecting religious liberty and freedom of
conscience requires some willingness to make mistakes.

Second, as I mentioned earlier, attitudes are changing in our society with
regard to same-sex marriage. And one of the places where they are changing is
in religious congregations. Religious people who support same-sex marriage are
talking to other religious people who are struggling with this issue. I think
that dialogue is important and it is supported and advanced when proponents of
same-sex marriage express respect for sincerely held religious beliefs. I think
calling people bigots shuts down the conversation. I understand that achieving
recognition of same-sex marriages will depend in part on the exercise of
political power. But won't it also depend on the power of persuasion. Maybe a
willingness to discuss limited accommodations now may make it easier to reach
the time when accommodations will be rarely requested in the future.

Alan