I was just reading, and being puzzled by, Hadley Arkes' First Things article,
"Recasting Religious Freedom,"
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/87af8f0af298f8ee9016150c3/files/f4e8099e-b859-4316-b018-30b1df49f257.pdf.
  I hesitate to try to summarize his point, for fear that I didn't fully grasp
it; but, as best I can tell, he seems to be saying that (1) religious freedom
rights should only apply to belief systems that are sufficiently well-reasoned
(p. 47) -- though I'm not sure if the quality of the reasoning is meant to be
judged by his standards or by the courts' -- and (2) once an exemption claim is
found to belong to such a system, the government must accept it unless it can
show that it is "deeply unreasonable" (p. 49).  But I wonder whether others on
the list have read the article and can offer a different (and perhaps better)
reading.

I will say that there is one thing I like about Arkes' analysis - it suggests,
on p. 50 (and in other places), that a constitutional religious exemption
regime would in many ways be very close to the Lochner-era substantive due
process regime, though it would apply the generalized Lochnerian liberty only
to those who can claim a religious freedom claim.  That is the argument I made
in my "Common-Law Model for Religious Exemptions" article,
http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/relfree.pdf, though I made it against a
constitutional exemption claim.  But that is a somewhat different matter; at
this point, I just want to make sure I understand Arkes' argument.  Many thanks,