Mr. Green,

Law and religion academics have been disagreeing with Doug Laycock for years on
the meaning of and proper scope of religious freedom.  Prof. Laycock is well
aware of the substantive impact of  the issues he addresses — or as aware if
those impacts as one can be on something so uncertain.  I do not doubt his
sincerity nor his commitment to religious liberty as well as many other aspects
of civil rights howsoever often I disagree with his assessments and positions.

There are academic freedom issues you seem willing to ignore — something even
the students seeking the information recognize as a concern, albeit one that
they are willing to harm for their conception of a greater good.

I second the comments of others on this list that you inform yourself more
fully about the nature of the religious legal positions taken by Prof. Laycock
and the proper legal context of them and address those if you want any
meaningful participation from people on this list — including those of us who
substantively may well support your political position and oppose Prof.
Laycock’s legal position.  What we, or at least I, cannot do is accept this
sort of empty broadside by treating it seriously.

Steven Jamar

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

“There are no wrong notes in jazz: only notes in the wrong places.”
Miles Davis