From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of mallamud
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2014 2:29 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: Hobby Lobby/Ellen Katz

Eugene,

     I agree that "it would [not] be proper for him to take a different
> approach because he wants people to "take a more nuanced view of him"
> or because he wants to "convic[e] people that the Supreme Court
> deserves respect."

     Judges must make decisions based on their best judgment without regard to
whether people would like them.  It is for law professors, lawyers and others
to evaluate decisions.  I do think there is an obligation for legally trained
people to defend as well as criticize the Supreme Court and I believe that
given the partisanship that may tear our country apart, the time to do so is
now. I also do not believe Justices must stick to the views they had before
they were appointed.
They need to reevaluate those views in the light of changed circumstances and
the broader perspective from the view from the highest court.

     Thus, I just hope he sees the problem as he did in Smith and weighs that
against a statute that, if interpreted broadly, would go against the policy of
the free speech clauses: to let people of many different views to live together
in harmony.  The application of strict scrutiny to protect all religious views
would be extremely disruptive.

      I believe based on arguments Marci makes that RFRA is unconstitutional,
but despite her brief, I do not think that that is at issue in Hobby Lobby.

                                    Jon