Scalia's dissent is interesting I one way, at least.  When I was growing up
Catholic children were not allowed to visit synagogues (this was in remote
upstate New York) without permission of the local bishop.  That has all changed
now, I know.  but it would have been true when Scalia was growing up.  So, in
theory if he wins in this case high school graduations could take place where
some kids might not be allowed to attend.

I am currently in France for a few weeks where I have been told that many
Muslim students will not enter a church on a school field trip (to look at art,
architecture, and culture) because it would violate their faith.  I wonder how
Scalia would respond if this case were brought by a Muslim who could not in
good faith attend graduation in a church.

I think Town of Greece is deeply wrong, but Scalia seems to think that allowing
a multitude of prayers as the town council (even though in fact that is mostly
theoretical for Town of Greece) is no different than handing out diploma's
under a crucifix of a cross.

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)