Marty,

I would define religious reasoning as reasoning within a
religious discourse or tradition used by religious people to reach
religiously-significant conclusions. Religious reasoning need not be
metaphysical or transcendent or explicitly spiritual. And it can
certainly resemble analogous secular discourse. But it is still
distinct.

Three observations:

1. Look again at my Jewish
separate-plates example. Rabbinic discussions of these sorts of
questions rarely involve discussions about "whether God exists, whether
there's a heaven or a hell, whether God commands a particular thing, or
whether and when an embryo has a 'soul' or is a 'human life.'" So I
return to my question: Should the prison authorities be heard to argue
that the connection between the underlying rule against mixing dairy and
meat and the subsidiary conclusion that those foods must be eaten on
separate plates is just too "attenuated"?

2. It's a staple of
first-year torts that reasoning about proximate cause is inextricably
intertwined with various policy and other concerns. And even if we
disagree with that, and adopt Ernie Weinrib's view that proximate cause
reasoning is built into the structure of tort law, that would still
suggest that it is embedded in a specific, constrained, discourse that
follows certain rules and makes certain very deep assumptions peculiar
to that discourse. That would suggest that there exist a whole bunch of
constrained discourses about notions of causation, responsibility, and
the like. Each of those constrained discourses is, explicitly or
implicitly, grounded in certain assumptions and world-views. For
example, in Peter Singer's thoroughgoing utilitarian discourse [2], each
of us has a direct affirmative responsibility to try to alleviate
famines and other forms of suffering around the world, since " if it is
in our power to prevent something bad from happening, without thereby
sacrificing anything of comparable moral importance, we ought, morally,
to do it." That is certainly a more radical view than that taken by tort
law, or by more deontological moral discourses, or even by Hobby Lobby.

Now, in the light of all that, it seems to me quite reasonable to
assume that Hobby Lobby is (however inarticulately) reaching _its_
conclusions about causation and responsibility based on forms of
reasoning or instinct embedded in _its_ own religious assumptions and
priorities, though loosely analogous, of course, to other forms of
reasoning about causation and responsibility.

3. Note that in the
Establishment Clause context, we're (usually rightly, I think) quite
willing to describe certain propositions (such as "creation science") as
religious even though their proponents claim they are not and in fact
carefully try to exclude all mention of "whether God exists, whether
there's a heaven or a hell, whether God commands a particular thing, or
whether and when an embryo has a 'soul' or is a 'human life.'"

On
07/02/2014 10:32 am, Marty Lederman wrote:

> Perry: I think this is a
very important, and contestable, assumption: "Hobby Lobby is using
religious reasoning, not secular reasoning" [in determining what sort of
connection constitutes prohibited "complicity"]. What is the basis for
that assumption? In fact, virtually all theological analysis I've ever
seen about questions of complicity does _not _consist of what we would
ordinarily call "religious reasoning" -- such as whether God exists,
whether there's a heaven or a hell, whether God commands a particular
thing, or whether and when an embryo has a "soul" or is a "human life"
-- questions that secular authorities are incapable of or forbidden from
assessing. Instead, that reasoning quite closely resembles the ordinary
sort of reasoning that nonreligious authorities -- academic,
legislative, and judicial -- make all the time about complicity and
responsibility and culpability of "accessories". (Of course, the
exception is that, within the religious assessment, the existence and
importance of the underlying evil -- e.g., prevention of implantation of
a fertilized embryo -- is itself a religious question. I am referring,
instead, to the questions of attenuation/proximate
cause/responsibility/etc.)

Dane <d...@crab.rutgers.edu [1]> wrote:

>> Steve Jamar writes: "I do
not reject the legitimacy nor the religiousity of the plaintiff's
beliefs. Quite the contrary; I accept them and undertstand them. But I
do not accept that we should accept a complicity with evil claim when it
becomes too attenuated as it is here. The inquiry is attenuation, not
substantive on the sinfulness nor evilness nor "legitimacy" of the
beliefs."

>> With all due respect, though, I have always found the
"attenuation" claim the least convincing of the arguments against Hobby
Lobby's position.

>> As the majority opinion suggests, and as many
of us have been saying for a long time, Hobby Lobby needs to be
understood as putting on the table two distinct religious claims: (1)
Certain forms of contraception should not be used. (2) Hobby Lobby
and/or its owners are religiously prohibited from signing insurance
contracts that cover those same forms of contraception. Of course, Hobby
Lobby has religious reasons taking it from claim (1) to claim (2). But
it's not the business of the secular state to second-guess the quality
of that reasoning. In fact, as far as the secular state is concerned,
claim (1) should be essentially irrelevant. All that really counts is
claim (2).

>> Imagine an observant Jewish prison inmate who asks
for kosher food. The prison administration tells him, "We're happy to
give you kosher food. We'll also be sure not to give you meat meals and
dairy meals within however many hours of each other you think is
religiously significant. But we can't give you separate (or disposable)
plates for your meat and dairy meals. That would just be too expensive
or complicated for us to do." The prisoner responds, "That's not good
enough, I'm afraid. As a matter of Jewish law, hot foot transfers its
'taste' to plates, which in turn transfer the 'taste' to other food
served on those plates, even if the plates are thoroughly washed between
uses. So I need separate or disposable plates." (There are more
technicalities that I won't get into.) The prison administration
replies, "That's just silly. No 'taste' gets transferred. We understand
that you have religious reasons for not eating meat and dairy food
together, and we'll grant you that accommodation, but this argument
you're making about plates and such is just too attenuated."

suspect that most courts, and most of us, would reject this defense of
"attenuation." (This has nothing to do with arguments over compelling
interest, less restrictive means, etc.) Jewish law's conclusion [that
(1) a ban on mixing dairy and meat foods entails (2) a ban on using the
same dishes for dairy and meat foods] might be wacky from a secular or
scientific point of view, but it's not up to the secular state to
second-guess that view. Indeed, all the secular state needs to know is
that the prisoner has a religious need not to eat meat and dairy meals
from the same plates. If the prisoner is to lose, it will not be because
his claim is too "attenuated."

>> I think the hangup in the Hobby
Lobby context is this: We all appreciate that Jewish law and other
system of religious ritual law often conceptualize the world in
wacky-seeming ways very different from ordinary reasoning. The
separate-plates rule is the least of it. (I say all this with all due
respect; I guide some of my life by those wacky conceptualizations.)
Hobby Lobby, on the other hand, seems to be using a form of argument
(complicity with evil) that has a much clearer secular analogue. But
that's deceptive. Hobby Lobby is using religious reasoning, not secular
reasoning. That doesn't mean it should win at the end of the day. But it
does mean that's it objection to signing certain health insurance
contracts shouldn't just be dismissed as too "attenuated." More to the
point, we really should -- as an analytic and doctrinal matter -- just
ignore Hobby Lobby's underlying objection to certain contraceptives; all
that should matter is that it objects for religious reasons to signing
the damn contracts.

>> Perry
>>
>> --

>> Perry Dane