Marty -- In your message below, and in your post over at Balkinization, you
posit that Wheaton College "might still allege a RFRA violation" if
"employees do get the coverage" under the Court's current solution of
written notification to the government without using the challenged form
and without the obligation that the College notify its insurance issuers
and administrators. But in it's reply brief to the Court on Wednesday,
Wheaton College represented its position as follows:

"[E]ligible organizations should be permitted to opt out of the
contraceptive mandate by providing written notification of their objections
to the Secretary of HHS, rather than to their insurance issuers or
third-party administrators. That is precisely the relief Wheaton seeks ....
Wheaton has no difficulty complying with—and indeed has already complied
with—the terms prescribed by this Court in Little Sisters....

"Wheaton asks for the same relief that this Court granted to the Little
Sisters of the Poor. Little Sisters, 134 S. Ct. 1022. There, the Court
freed the Sisters from using the Form and allowed them to merely inform the
government (not their TPA) of their religious objection.

And after the Court issued its order -- which emphasizes (as you note in
your Balkinization post) that "[n]othing in this interim order affects the
ability of the applicant’s employees and students to obtain, without cost,
the full range of FDA approved contraceptives" and that "[n]othing in this
order precludes the Government from relying on [Wheaton's] notice [of its
religious objection], to the extent it considers it necessary, to
facilitate the provision of full contraceptive coverage under the Act" --
Wheaton's counsel described the order as a "victory" that allows the
college to "practice its faith free from crushing government fines."

Of course, other non-profits might draw the line in a different place than
Wheaton College and argue that written notification to the government is as
problematic as written notification to insurance issuers or third party
administrators. And perhaps some other nonprofits might (as I think your
post suggests Wheaton College might) conditionally object to notifying the
government depending on precisely how the government treats the written
notification (e.g., as a definitive legal trigger designating a plan
administrator or as an invocation of RFRA, which obligates the government
to then find some solution, which perhaps could be viewed as less
definitive of a trigger even if everyone knows what the result of the
written notification will be). But given its representations to the Court,
and its embrace of the Court's order, I think Wheaton College is unlikely
to be the entity that presses that argument, no?

- Jim