My thoughts on the longer-term ramifications of the decision.  The upshot
is that I think it's very important in two respects:  (i) the strong
affirmation of the holding in *Thomas *that civil authorities cannot
evaluate religious claims that X is a forbidden form of complicity with
evil; and, most importantly, as Micah, Rich and Nelson also stress in their
Slate piece, (ii) the shocking abandonment of pre-Smith doctrine as a guide
to applying RFRA.

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/07/hobby-lobby-part-xviii-one-potentially.html

As I say in the post, Chip was right 20 years ago:  Even if one favors a
statutory regime of religious accommodation, and thus supported RFRA -- as
I do and I did -- it turns out to have been a huge mistake for Congress to
use the words of strict scrutiny, when virtually no one supporting the
legislation actually favored such scrutiny.  In an age of Scalian
textualism, that was a disaster waiting to happen . . . and now, perhaps,
it has.

I'm curious:  Does anyone on the list (i) think the Court was right to say
(or at least come very close to holding) that pre-Smith doctrine is
inapposite to RFRA; and/or (ii) still think it was a good idea for Congress
to use least-restrictive-means language in RFRA?