Dear colleagues,

I suppose I am just echoing a point that Eugene made, but it seems to me
that -- while it is certainly possible to imagine settling, at the end of
the day, if only for pragmatic reasons, on a legal regime that did not
extend religion-related exemptions from generally applicable "commercial"
or "economic" regulations or did not extend them to for-profit corporations
-- the reason or justification for this regime would not be (a) that
religious commitments have nothing to say about, and do not often motivate,
commercial or economic activity; (b) that business corporations do not have
"souls"; or (c) that only laws regulating the activities of natural persons
can burden religious freedom or the exercise of religion.

Best wishes,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett

Professor of Law and Concurrent Professor of Political Science

Director, Program on Church, State & Society

Notre Dame Law School

P.O. Box 780

Notre Dame, Indiana 46556-0780

574-631-6981 (w)

574-276-2252 (cell)

rgarn...@nd.edu

To download my scholarly papers, please visit my SSRN page
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=342235>

Blogs:

Prawfsblawg <http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/>

Mirror of Justice <http://mirrorofjustice.blogs.com/>