As Marty notes, this is a different issue, although it is still an important
one. I take Eugene’s most recent post to focus not on whether audience members
are being coerced, but whether they are coerced into engaging in religious
exercise.

There are situations where one stands for secular reasons. We stand when the
judge walks into court.  We stand to express patriotic commitments when the
national anthem is played.

We do not stand to respect the institution and practices of town boards. We
don’t stand when the board comes in. We don’t stand when the members speak. We
don’t stand when citizens speak to the Board during public comment. When we are
asked to stand when clergy offer a prayer in our name, if we stand in response
to that request we are doing something different  than we usually do that
reflects the religious nature of what is going on.  This is particularly true
because standing and other bodily motions are so much a part of religious
worship and the act of prayer.

In Town of Greece, we have clergy communicating to the audience using the same
language they use when they address their congregation in their house of
worship. The Court concedes this. The audience is asked to respond in the very
much same way they would be asked to respond in a worship service. Many
audience members stand, bow their heads and join in the prayer – clearly
recognizing that they are being asked to participate in a religious exercise.
The prayer is offered in the name of everyone in the audience. I simply do not
understand how standing in such circumstances should be seen as anything other
than religious exercise. Certainly, if the audience was ordered to stand I
would argue they  were being compelled to participate in a religious exercise.

As Marty’s last comment suggests, if religious minorities were guests in the
communities in which they live and were allowed to attend public meetings by
virtue of a privilege granted by civil authorities, there might be a reason to
view their conduct as having a distinct meaning – as is the case when one
visits the house of worship of another faith.  And that is the message—that
minorities are guests, not respected members of the community-- communicated by
the town of Greece in its policies and by the Court in this case.

Alan