From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Paul Finkelman
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 11:47 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: What's at stake in the debate over the forthcoming LGBT
nondiscrimination E.O.?

What's at stake is the basic civil rights for millions of American who are
fired, or never hired, for what they do in private and what they do outside the
workplace.

These are not much different than the arguments in the 1950s and 1960s that
integration violated God's laws.  Bob Jones University is best known only
because it ended up in the Supreme Court, but these arguments were made quite
frequently.

The comment about the movies I suppose would be this:  Hollywood makes stupid
movies about stupid things all the time.  Hollywood makes movies about
unimportant things all the time.  So isn't the issue this:  if you only
criticize movies that deal with gay issues, and you do it as a kind of
harassment -- as opposed to a serious discussion of movies --  and you do it in
front of colleagues you know are gay only to annoy them or harass them -- then
perhaps it is harassment.  If you discuss movies at work all the time, then it
might not be.

It strikes me as religious discrimination to assume that people who are
religiously hostile to people because they are gay would necessarily
discriminate against them.  But, it would also be discrimination if someone is
fired because the boss believes being gay is sinful.

Since Christians believe that we are sinners, if the devout person fires
someone for being gay or transgender (they are very different things) isn't
that discrimination because they haven't fired all the other sinners, including
themselves.

Mark, you seem to be arguing that people can use religion to discriminate
against anyone who they think is immoral.  How far are you going to take that?

Paul Finkelman