When asked about the Indiana RFRA on Meet the Press today, Gov. Jindal said
the following:

Let's remember what this debate was originally all about.  This is about
business owners that don't wanna have to choose between their Christian
faith, their sincerely held religious beliefs, and being able to operate
their businesses. Now, what they don't want is the government to force them
to participate in wedding ceremonies that contradict their beliefs.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/bobby_jindal_religious_freedom.html

Longtime advocates of RFRAs would understandably object to this
characterization as ignoring all the many less-controversial religious
liberty claims that originally motivated the push for RFRAs, but in terms
of the political impetus for the new state RFRAs, Gov. Jindal is
undoubtedly correct as to what the debate is "all about."

Accordingly, it seems appropriate that the coming debate in Louisiana won't
be about a new RFRA or new RFRA amendment (like those considered in Indiana
and Arizona) that would leave the answer to the wedding vendor cases
unclear and subject to future judicial balancing. Rather, the coming debate
in Louisiana will be over proposed legislation (introduced Friday) that
would clearly give businesses the right to refuse marriage-related services
and benefits to same-sex couples.

Bill:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/louisiana_religious_freedom_bi.html
Story about the Bill (in which Doug is quoted):
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/religious_freedom_fight_headed.html

The Louisiana bill would, in Steve's words below, have the "benefits of
clarity," but it would likely "cut too broadly" even for many who support
carve-outs from antidiscrimination laws in the same-sex marriage context,
as the language of the proposal would allow vendors to refuse service to
interracial couples, interfaith couples, couples involving divorced
individuals, or any other type of couple to which there is a religious
objection.

The legislation closely mirrors the proposed Marriage and Religious Freedom
Act that was introduced in the last Congress and was sponsored by 103
Representatives and 17 Senators. It is also similar to an exemption
proposal first offered by a group of law professors in 2009, although that
group subsequently modified its proposal to limit it to small businesses
and include a hardship exemption that would require services to be provided
when no other business was available to provide them. The group has also
suggested that states could make a race exception to the religious
exemption if they are concerned about the exemption allowing discrimination
against interracial couples. (The Louisiana proposal, like its federal
counterpart, begins with the following finding: "Leading legal scholars
concur that conflicts between religious liberty and changing ideas about
the institution of marriage are very real, rapidly increasing, and should
be addressed by legislation.") (note: the federal version explicitly says
"same-sex marriage" in this finding, rather than "changing ideas about the
institution of marriage").

I have argued that exemptions designed to allow businesses to refuse
services and benefits to same-sex couples, such as the exemption proposed
in Louisiana (and previously, in Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota,
Kansas, South Dakota, Tennessee, and the U.S. Congress), would be
vulnerable to challenge under the Equal Protection Clause. Others have
argued that they would be vulnerable to Establishment Clause challenge. I
suspect both arguments, however, would be strongly disputed by proponents
of the exemptions.

- Jim