Thanks much, Doug. I'm definitely not an expert on state treatment of local
government law, and certainly not on the specific issue of whether
Louisiana law typically treats "state" actors as including municipal actors
for statutory purposes. If it doesn't, the results would indeed be strange
-- businesses that refused marriage-related services to interracial or
interfaith couples would be shielded from proceedings brought by the
Louisiana Commission on Human Rights under state antidiscrimination law,
but businesses that refused marriage-related services to same-sex couples
would not be shielded from proceedings brought by the Shreveport Human
Relations Commission. I think it's fair to say that the sponsor did not
intend that result.

Perhaps, as the sponsor said today, he doesn't intend for the bill to apply
to business transactions at all, but if that's the case, I'm not sure what
perceived conflict the bill is intended to resolve.

- Jim