Luke,

Speaking only for myself, I would approach each case by asking how the law
or regulation would have treated similar discrimination issues before gay
people asked for equal access. My understanding of the New Jersey rule is
that it would have prohibited the denial of access for marriages involving
interracial couples, interfaith couples, or couples involving divorced
individuals. Under those circumstances, I think the same rules should apply
to same-sex couples. If, by contrast, the rule generally exempted the
nonprofit from complying with nondiscrimination requirements, I would
extend that exemption to discrimination on the basis of sexual-orientation.

As for the constitutional question, I could see the argument being made
that some of these cases (though the pavilion case would not be a good
candidate) should be treated more like Hosanna-Tabor than like Smith, and
perhaps this will be the context that eventually leads the Court to add
some more clarity to its distinction between those cases. I do not have
confidence in my ability to predict where exactly the Court will end up on
that. Wherever it ends up, I don't think religious defenses of
sexual-orientation discrimination should prevail where religious defenses
of other types of suspect discrimination would fail (with the previously
discussed exception of situations where racial discrimination has been
uniquely targeted).

In terms of how concerned religious organizations or individuals who oppose
same-sex marriage should be, I'll stick with my final response to Michael
from earlier today.

Best,

Jim