Dear Marty,

Thank you for your response, and my apologies: rereading your earlier post,
I can see that I misunderstood you. I'm glad we agree on a number of
important points where I'd imagined we didn't.

That said, I hope you'll also agree that my misunderstanding was
understandable. The ideas I incorrectly ascribed to you didn't come from my
imagination. I've heard them expressed by very smart, very educated people,
and there are large parts of the legal academy where I suspect that they or
something like them is assumed to be the opinion of all clear-thinking
people. I think that's a big problem--a real obstacle to reaching sensible
resolutions to these conflicts.

One last question: you claim repeatedly that not many religious
institutions discriminate on these bases right now. That's surprising to
me. Do you know if anyone has written about it? Assuming it's true, I
wonder to what extent it's a consequence of gay marriage not having been
legally recognized--of these institutions incorporating the word "marriage"
into their codes of conduct and letting the law of marriage do the
discriminating for them. If that's what's been going on, then I suspect in
the short term we'll see more institutions explicitly discriminating along
these lines, not less, as some institutions amend their rules so as not to
accept legally recognized gay marriages.

Best, and thanks again,

Alan