1. I don’t think that speech/parade permit requirements are
limited to “first come, first served.”  Grayned v. City of Rockford, for
instance, noted that demonstrations or parades could be forbidden if they “put
an intolerable burden on the essential flow of traffic”; Cox v. New Hampshire
contemplates that such factors would be considered as part of the demonstration
licensing system, so long as the licenser’s “discretion ... [is] exercised with
‘uniformity of method of treatment upon the facts of each application, free
from improper or inappropriate considerations and from unfair discrimination,’”
and so long as the licenser uses a "systematic, consistent and just order of
treatment, with reference to the convenience of public use of the highways.”
Thomas v. Chicago Park Dist. likewise allowed consideration of whether “the
intended use would present an unreasonable danger to the health or safety of
park users or Park District employees.”

               To be sure, it’s possible that, if read too broadly and
flexibly, these factors can indeed be applied in a discriminatory way.
(Indeed, even the most precisely defined criminal prohibitions could be applied
in a discriminatory way, just given the risk of prosecutorial discretion.)  But
the Court has been willing to conclude, and I think rightly so, that the
factors, if sufficiently well-defined and subject to policing for inconsistent
application, the risk of discrimination is not so great that it invalidates the
program.

               What if the Missouri program?  Fortunately, Missouri posts the
evaluation criteria, which you can read at http://dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub2425.pdf.
The first three basically focus on whether the application has been completely
filled out, in sufficient detail.  The remaining factors, with specific point
allotments, include (4) the fraction of the scrap tires that would come from
Missouri, (4a) whether the project uses “mats/tiles or pour-in-place surface
material,” (4b) whether “the described method of containment for the
appropriate depth of loose surface material ... is adequate,” (4c) whether the
bids specify the fraction of the scrap tires that would come from Missouri, (5)
whether the grant, if awarded, would be announced in enough forms of media (if
I read this item correctly), presumably because Missouri wants the grants to
stimulate more interest in the program, (6) whether enough information is given
about how “solid waste management education ... will be incorporated into the
school’s curriculum or into informational material to be provided to the public
by the grant applicant,” (7) whether the Solid Waste Management Region is
involved with the project, (8) whether an adequate scope of work and timeline
for the work are given, (9) whether the budget is complete and supported by
three or more quotes, (10) how much scrap tire material the applicant would
also buy itself, (11) the fraction of the school population and neighboring
population below poverty level, and (12) whether there has been another recent
grant in the area.

               Again, there’s always a risk of some discrimination in the
implementation of any program – but here that risk seems quite low, and well
below the risk involved in considering, for instance, traffic congestion and
traffic hazard questions in parade demonstration schemes.

               2.  Even under current law, this strikes me as quite fine under
the Mitchell v. Helms concurrence, given that the benefit is unlikely to
“result in governmental indoctrination” – the playground surface can help kids
play more safely, but even in the unlikely event that there would be worship
services held in the playground, those worship services are quite unlikely to
benefit materially from the resurfacing (given that the worship services are
unlikely to involve swinging, sliding, and climbing monkey bars).  To be sure,
one difference here is that the school gets a grant that “for the purchase of
recycled tires to resurface playgrounds,” rather than just getting a truckload
of recycled tires.  But I don’t read the Mitchell concurrence as making such
targeted grants categorically forbidden, especially given how little sense such
a distinction would make here.

               Eugene