Wanted to see if there were any takers on this.

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Replying to this comment on conlawprof: "The Old Testament doesn't purport to
reflect natural law principles on marriage. The New Testament does, though."

-------

One time I was teaching a Wittgenstein class. A student took the position that
he believed in aliens. When I asked him why, he mentioned the sheer number of
galaxies and other planets.The odds were too far in his favor. And so I
replied, "you don't believe in aliens; you believe in probability."

By the same token, when people say that the New Testament takes a position one
way or another on same-sex marriage (if that is being said), one has to ask
what they are really placing their faith upon.

Matthew 19 speak of two issues: (a) divorcing a wife; and (b) men who would
want to forego the male-female union that Jesus references. The people who
would not find such a union attractive are: (1) Those who have devoted
themselves to God; (2) Those who were born differently; and (3) those who were
"of men." The term used is "eunuch." He doesn't mean castrated; he means those
who are not predisposed to having the kind of commitment to wives that he just
described when answering that specific question. See Matthew 19:12. .

So, it is not at all clear to me that the New Testament takes a position on
anything until human beings start superimposing what Wittgenstein called
"pictures." It is THIS (the picture) that is the object of faith. This is same
problem originalists have. They think "truth" is being defeated when they
should see only that one arrangement of it (a mental picture) is being rejected
for another.

My reading of Matthew conjures up this picture. Jesus wasn't giving a sermon
(the law); he was only answering a question about when it is okay to divorce
your wife. When the answer seemed stern, he was asked point blank: why take a
wife then? He then basically said that not everyone would, and listed some
reasons why. Then this story gets repeated as social hearsay for decades.

I don't see anything that addresses gay marriage in a negative way.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Associate Professor
Wright State University