From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of Volokh, Eugene [vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2016 1:20 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: landlord/tenant law and RFRA

                Wasn’t Jasniowski also vacated, there by the state supreme
court, 174 Ill. 2d 563 (1997) (“In the exercise of this Court's supervisory
authority, the Appellate Court, First District, is directed to vacate the
judgment entered in 287 Ill.App.3d 655, 222 Ill.Dec. 871, 678 N.E.2d 743
(1997), to vacate the judgment entered by the circuit court in case No.
94-CH-5546 (December 22, 1994), and to set aside the order entered by the
Chicago Commission on Human Relations in case No. 92-H-127 (May 18, 1994).”)?
Also, State by Cooper v. French, 460 N.W.2d 2 (Minn. 1990), came out in favor
of the landlord.

                So, as I count it, landlords won in Illinois, Michigan, and
Minnesota (though in Illinois and Michigan the court opinions were quite
opaque).  In Massachusetts, the court seemed to say that the landlords could
win if it appeared that “the rental housing policies of people such as the
defendants can be accommodated, at least in the [local] area, without
significantly impeding the availability of rental housing for people who are
cohabiting or wish to cohabit.”  The landlords lost in Alaska under strict
scrutiny.  And in Smith, the court split 3-3 in applying strict scrutiny,
though the swing vote (Justice Mosk) concluded that the landlords should lose
because RFRA violated the separation of powers.

                I don’t quite see, then, an anti-claimant general trend in the
marital status discrimination in housing cases.  Rather, it seems like a pretty
mixed bag, on balance slightly in favor of the landlord claimants, though far
from uniformly so.  Or am I missing something?

                Eugene