Greg,

At my instigation, we've moved far afield from Law & Religion issues into
State & Local Government issues, so I'll keep this response brief. Although
there is clearly a state policy in North Carolina against the
*state legislature* creating a patchwork of local laws, I do not read
*Williams* suggesting as state policy against *cities and counties* passing
ordinances that result in such a patchwork. *Williams *recognizes that one
of the purposes of the constitutional prohibition on the legislature
passing local laws was "to strengthen local self-government by providing
for the delegation of local matters by general laws to local authorities."
And, of course, delegating by general laws to localities will inevitably
result in a patchwork of different local laws. That's precisely what
happened with public accommodations ordinances in North Carolina pursuant
to the general delegations in 153A-121 and 160A-174, and I raised those
provisions because I (mis?)read your initial post as implying that
localities might not have had the authority to pass public accommodations
ordinances pre-HB2. What *King *described as the "broad" delegations in
153-121 and 160A-174 seem clearly to me to include the power to pass such
ordinances.

On the vulnerability of HB 2 to equal protection challenge, I appreciate
Will's efforts to distinguish *Romer*, but I am not convinced that applying
the principles underlying that case to HB 2 is a "stretch."

- Jim