Very thoughtful and helpful post, Chris.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 2, 2016, at 9:18 PM, "Christopher Lund"
<l...@wayne.edu<mailto:l...@wayne.edu>> wrote:

I have thought about these issues a little bit over the years, because a
similar program is in place at Wayne State, where I teach.  (Wayne State is a
public university.)  The gym here has a "women's only" area, removed from the
main part of the gym.  Now there are many women's gyms out there, which
probably reflect how many women (regardless of religion) would rather not work
out in the company of men.  But I have little doubt that here at Wayne, a big
part of it is that we have a lot of Muslim women who have deep religious
concerns about this.  (And you see that last point obliquely referred to in the
university’s description here,
https://rfc.wayne.edu/mort-harris/womens-only-area.php.)  Of course, the burden
on men is much less here at Wayne than in the New York case, because men have
other machines that they can work out on.  But the burden is not nothing.
Machines can fill up quickly, because many people try to work out over the
lunch hour.  I'm sure there are guys out there thinking it would be easier if
they could just use the machines in the women's area.  But they can’t.

Chip may be right that this is unconstitutional tout court.  This is sex
discrimination by the state; there’s no disputing that.  I guess that would
make the “women’s only” area at Wayne unconstitutional.  And that might be the
right answer.

Even so, I still am interested in the facts here.  How many Orthodox women want
to use the pool?  And how many hours would it be women-only, and how many hours
would it be open access?  Are there non-religious people who want womens-only
or mens-only swim times?  (There might be.)

It’s obviously a huge burden to the men to not be able to use the pool
(especially, I notice, Saturday afternoon).  But if Orthodox women all feel
religiously compelled not to swim with men, then a lack of a religious
accommodation here makes them similarly unable to use the pool.  For the same
reasons that lack of pool access is a hardship to the men, it's a hardship to
the women.  Of course, it's true that the women's hardship is, in a sense,
created by their own religious beliefs.  But that's always the case with
religious accommodations.  And if we're balancing harms and hardships, I'd note
an important imbalance here.  Without a religious accommodation, the women
aren't deprived of the pool for a limited time (as the men would be with a
religious accommodation); they are deprived of the pool altogether.  I'd want
to avoid that, if I could.

I still don’t know how to resolve this, but one final thing.  If you look at
the pool’s schedule, which I think I found here,
https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/recreationcenters/B085/schedule/2016-05-30#Pool,
 you’ll see that there’s virtually no “general swim” times at the pool at
all—usually only about two hours a day.  Most of the time, the pool seems to be
reserved for various kinds of things—kids’ swim lessons, water polo, adult lap
swimming, senior lap swimming.  And if the state is restricting pool access for
all these other kinds of reasons, the question becomes why it can't do the same
to accommodate the deeply held views of a minority faith?  I mean, water polo
is great, but I don't know if it's necessarily more worthy of accommodation
than Orthodox Judaism.

Best,
Chris
___________________________