I agree that it's not for the state to arbitrate between Hillel's and
Meir's view about what is embedded in Jewish law with respect to women's
bodies.  But I want to go back to Eugene's earlier argument that 3rd party
harms are not relevant to the Establishment Clause problem because the
accommodation is not religion-specific -- that is, the hours are "women
only," not "Jewish women only."  True enough, but there is still a
gerrymander here -- this is not a City wide policy.  It applies only to
this one neighborhood pool, in a neighborhood with a strong Orthodox Jewish
presence.  (If the policy were city-wide, it would help all women who want
female-only swimming hours, for whatever reason. The sex discrimination
problem would remain.)  In light of the conspicuous religious gerrymander,
perhaps we need to add Kiryas Joel to the mix of relevant cases.

When the policy is 1) motivated by religion specific concerns, and 2)
geographically limited to reflect those concerns, perhaps the Caldor
problem of harms to third parties (men, who want those hours to swim, and
the weekday hours may be just as important to some of them as the Sunday
hours) remains.  If so, I repeat the question -- is the relevant test one
of "balancing" religious accommodations against inconvenience to others?
How would we do that, with or without interrogating religious reasoning?

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Meir Katz <meirka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hillel's assumption that "Jewish laws relating to sexual modesty have
> embedded within them, and reinforce, certain [negative] assumptions and
> norms about women's and girls' bodies [that are contrary to public policy]"
> is both incorrect and not widely held by those who observe those laws. The
> laws have a rather different purpose, one certainly not contrary to public
> policy, that was shared broadly by civil society until the 1950s. I would
> be interested to learn from where Hillel's assumption derives.
>
> In any event, even if Hillel's assumption were arguably correct, it would
> still be inappropriate, as Eugene inquires, for a judge (or, for that
> matter, any third-party decision-maker) to use that assumption to bias his
> decisions. A civil judge cannot be in the position of deciding religious
> questions or determining the contours of religious law. For one to conclude
> that "Jewish laws relating to sexual modesty have embedded within them, and
> reinforce, certain [negative] assumptions," he would need to have a deep
> and rather sophisticated understanding not just of what those Jewish laws
> require, but also where they come from, why they exist, and how they impact
> those who follow them. That inquiry necessarily intrudes deeply into
> religious thought. Even if a civil judge were able to perform that inquiry
> properly and reach an accurate conclusion, it is not a proper role for that
> judge.
>
> Moreover, as I intimated in my first paragraph, the assumption that Hillel
> reaches is contrary to the purpose and objective behind Jewish modesty laws
> as generally understood by its adherents. As a result, using the assumption
> to guide judicial decision-making would not merely improperly impose
> physical burdens on the religious adherents, it would also impose on them
> an alternative understanding as to what their religious laws actually mean.
> If the women (and men) who willingly subject themselves to religious
> modesty laws understand those laws as *not* as reinforcing norms and
> assumptions that are contrary to public policy (broadly defined), why
> should the contrary, and possibly unfounded, assumptions of a judge (or
> anyone) play any role at all in determining their entitlement to observe
> that law at state expense? And what authority does a civil judge have to
> tell them that their laws have some alternative purpose or function?
>
> Similarly, false advertising and other claims against kosher certifying
> agencies and food manufacturers that produce food labeled "kosher," despite
> not being kosher from the perspective of the plaintiff, fail precisely
> because civil courts lack the authority to determine how Jewish law
> operates or whether a given food item is kosher under Jewish law. It
> certainly follows that courts lack the authority to determine the purpose
> underlying the laws of kashrut--say, perhaps, to promote hygiene--and then
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg