For purposes of a project I'm currently working on, I'm genuinely curious
whether any readers on the list think that there was a substantial burden
here.  Paul Clement argued on behalf of the plaintiff's cause, and there
were a slew of amicus briefs, so I assume there's a serious dispute out
there.  I'd like to understand it better, and to be able to put the burden
question in the best possible light.  (Please note that I am putting aside
the question of whether the Air Force would still win on the back end of
RFRA, which it likely would, if for no other reason than that offering a
preference for religious workplace speech would violate the Free Speech
Clause.  I am only interested for now in the burden question.)

Assuming the following facts, as the court did:

1.  Lance Corporal Sterling posted three identical signs in her workspace,
each containing only the words “No weapon formed against me shall prosper,”
on 8 1/2- x 11-inch paper in 28-point font or smaller. One was on the side
of her computer tower, one above her computer screen, and one above her
desk mailbox. The signs were large enough for those walking by her desk,
and Marines seated at her workspace, to read.

2.  Her superiors insisted that she take the signs down, on penalty of
court-martial for insubordination (a pretty big deal in terms of sanction,
as, presumably, would be her leaving the service).  They were not motivated
by the fact that the signs, or Sterling, was religious--they would have
done the same no matter what the employees' motivation was.

3.  Her posting of the signs was (let’s assume--as the court did) sincerely
motivated by Sterling's religious beliefs, and the signs had religious
significance to her.  Yet she did not make any claim that posting them was
religiously mandated, or that it was a tenet (central or otherwise) of her
religion to do so.

Has she met her burden of demonstrating a substantial burden on her
religious exercise?  If so, and if we can imagine there are other officers
in her workplace who would be similarly (and just as intensely) motivated
to post signs at their stations for *nonreligious *reasons, why should we
assume Congress would want to provide rights to Sterling (even the right to
put the government to its RFRA burden) that it is unwilling to give her
similarly situated, secularly motivated colleagues?

Thanks in advance for any responses.