Exactly, Eugene.  The employer already has available to it the
"alternative" the judge creatively surmised.  The employer himself didn't
propose it, no doubt because he would object to Stephens not wearing a tie
(not to mention other indicia of the fact that she's a woman, e.g.,
make-up), and to requiring all other employee to wear the court's proposed
unisex uniform.

The employer's own proposed "less restrictive alternatives," on the other
hand, are the *reductio ad absurdum *examples that flow from Alito's
misbegotten reasoning in *Hobby Lobby*:

Moreover, the government could employ other alternatives to ensure that
Stephens retains employment or the benefits of employment. For example, *the
federal government could directly hire Stephens and allow Stephens to dress
however Stephens wants; the government could pay Stephens a full salary and
benefits from the time of Stephens’s discharge until Stephens acquires
comparable employment; or the government could provide incentives for other
employers (including, but not limited to, employers in the funeral
industry) to hire Stephens and allow Stephens to dress as a member of the
opposite sex on the job*. See Hobby Lobby, 134 S. Ct. at 2780 (“[F]or the
Government to assume the cost of providing the four contraceptives at issue
to any women who were unable to obtain them . . . due to their employers’
religious objections[] . . . would certainly be less restrictive of the
plaintiffs’ religious liberty”). With all of these alternatives available
to the government, the EEOC cannot meet RFRA’s least-restrictive means
requirement and thus cannot satisfy strict scrutiny.

I wouldn't have even had the gall to put that on a law school exam, it's
such a ridiculous notion of what the statute requires (but not inconsistent
with *Hobby Lobby*!).

I therefore agree that the LRM analysis in opinion is absurd.  But so, I
think, is the "substantial burden" discussion.  This is what we might
expect as a result of the complicity arguments proffered in the
contraception cases:  Now, an employer argues with a straight face that his
religion would prohibit him from retaining an employee who wears a skirt,
if that employee was born with male reproductive organs, even if compelled
to do so by law.

What the contraception litigation has wrought . . . .