See, e.g., Quern v. Jordan, 440 U.S. 332, 340-41 (1979):

"Mr. Justice BRENNAN in his opinion concurring in the judgment argues that
our holding in *Edelman* that § 1983 does not abrogate the States' Eleventh
Amendment immunity is 'most likely incorrect.' To reach this conclusion he
relies on 'assum[ptions]' drawn from the Fourteenth Amendment, on
'occasional remarks' found in a legislative history that contains little
debate on § 1 of the Civil Rights Act of 1871, 17 Stat. 13, the precursor
to § 1983, on the reference to 'bodies politic' in the Act of Feb. 25,
1871, 16 Stat. 431, the 'Dictionary Act,' and, finally on the general
language of § 1983 itself. But, unlike our Brother BRENNAN, *we simply are
unwilling to believe, on the basis of such slender 'evidence,' that
Congress intended by the general language of § 1983 to override the
traditional sovereign immunity of the States*. We therefore conclude that
neither the reasoning of *Monell* or of our Eleventh Amendment cases
subsequent to *Edelman*, nor the additional legislative history or
arguments set forth in Mr. Justice BRENNAN's concurring opinion, justify a
conclusion different from that which we reached in *Edelman.*

- Jim