Dave,

A relatively easy thing you can do is to put a Mastr II exciter in a
shielded box with a BNC connector for output. You can easily connect
attenuators directly to the box in line to get your weak signals. This
works on both VHF and UHF.  You can also add a small audio oscillator to
modulate the exciter if you like (comes in handy if you have a Sinader).

73, Tony W4ZT