At 03:39 AM 7/11/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>As far as what has changed....the new piece of equipment(repeater) is
>by the specs more then twice as sensitive but on the bench it tested
>more like 3 times as sensitive as the old repeater.  We are going up
>today to try some more testing and I will get back to this thread
>with the results.

Spec sensitivity is like a paper repeater.  Anybody can write whatever
they want.

Bench sensitivity is with no noise or other signals - the receiver is
operating in the best of all possible worlds.

"Real world" sensitivity (normally called Effective Sensitivity) is what
really counts.  See Chris Boone's writeup at
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/effectivesens.html>

If you still have access to the old repeater it would be interesting
to see  an effective sensitivity number on it, then drop the new
repeater into the EXACT same lashup - the same duplexer-to
repeater jumpers, the same everything.

More below.

Nate Duehr WY0X <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  Our local club has been running a 10 Yausu 2410 2 meter
> >>  repeater for many years. It is run through a Wacom wp-641 4 can
> >>  duplexer.  Great results from this unit and it hears excellent....We
> >>  recently aquired a new vertex vxr-7000 do to some really nice friends
> >>  locally. In hooking up the new machine we have terrible desense on
> >>  lower signals that would still be full quieting into our old machine.

Please describe the entire system - is there a preamp?  Is there an
isolator/circulator, any cavities other than what is part of the duplexer,
what type of antenna, etc.

> >First off, just in case of a common mistake:  If you replaced the cables
> >going to the duplexer and didn't replace them with good quality
> >double-shielded cable... stop and go do that right now.

RG-142 or RG-400 are two possibilities.  142 has a steel core and
can fracture if bent too much, 400 is preferred.
See <http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/double-shielded-coax.html>

Mike