I picked up an electronic load on Ebay a number of years ago, and have
gotten more use out of it than I ever thought I would.  Here's a well-done
article on building an electronic load.  The general design could be easily
expanded to handle higher current by using a beefier transistor and/or
multiple devices.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30506/article.html

                                        --- Jeff