Seems like in the old days, when the Phoenix was new, that the synthesizer
and microprocessor consumed a bunch of current and that from a low power /
solar power, etc stand point, a crystal controlled radio was more
conservative of power - maybe a crystal talkie or the like would be more
practical.

Steve NU5D

> down to 2-5W for a low power/low current draw application. I
*assume*
> that the final amp transistor can be strapped but is there any
> additional modifications necessary to make this work?

I don't know if this helps, but the UHF manual says to replace Q203
with L217, which couples the output of Q202 to the antenna switch. I
haven't found a value for L217 yet. This should give you a 2 to 5 W
output.
Howard
WB4GUD