There is a formula in most hand books where the characteristic impedance can be determined from the inner diameter of the shield and the outer diameter of the center conductor.  I have built many makeshift connectors using an UHF barrel, PL258, and slotting the outer conductor of the cable with a hacksaw, then driving the barrel over the center, applying passivating compound, and using a hose clamp to secure the shield to the barrel connector.  I have used UHF barrels on 1/2" and 3/4" lines with good success.  Also there is not a whole lot of difference between 50 and 75 ohm cable.

Also, for a given diameter, the loss is pretty much the same with some difference due to dielectric losses.

Steve

--
Ham Radio Spoken Here.....NU5D

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS