Mathiew, A VHF/VHF system that was local controlled in a portable
repeater set-up could be built using the identical circuits you used
for the remotes. If you ID the repeater along with the user, it could
serve in an emergency. It gets a bit dicey to let the users ID a
repeater for long periods of time though, and not recommended for any
extended use. As cheap as the simple controllers are these days,
inserting one in the system would make a lot of sense. In that case,
get one that has the audio de-emphasis built in, like the NHRC-3, and
it will output the audio back to the mic input with no problem. The
vol/sq high is used as the input to the controller. Use the CAS signal
as the carrier input to the controller, and the PTT is supplied by the
controller, so no circuitry is required in the radio. Plenty of room to
mount one of these controllers where the CTCSS board was removed and
wire direct to the terminals you used for the cross-band units. I have
seen other controllers in kit form with very basic control capabilities
that could be used, but I am not familiar with them.

If you want a really high-sensitivity repeater for your portable, think
about separating the transmit and receive and use another cross-band
(440 in and 147 out) at the 2 meter transmit site. With enough
separation of the input and output sites, you can have a really
high-performance repeater without a lot of the problems caused by a
portable repeater, like poor sensitivity for receive and low transmit
power without desensing the receiver. About the only solution for a
portable with a reasonable sized duplexer is to use a wide
transmit/receive separation, which means that all your users will have
to program a non-standard split to use the repeater. Lugging a full
size duplexer around for 600 kHz split 2 meter repeaters would be a bit
of a bother.

By the way - did you manage to get the repeated audio up to where you
wanted it for the remote radios? I think you will remember that we
mentioned that an emitter follower could be added between the receive
audio which was de-emphasized by the 15K series resistor and the shunt
.22 UFD cap. Just add the emitter follower base at the output of the
15K/.22 with the emitter to the 1 UFD cap going to the mic input, with
the collector of the transistor going to the +10 from the SAS board.
Put a 1K resistor from the emitter to ground. A common 2N2222 can be
used, and the loading provided by the MIC input bias resistor will not
bring the audio down so much.

73 - Jim W5ZIT