>"Andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> A local repeater around here has a similar problem to the one
> that has been discussed recently.

Only one repeater problem has been discussed..? :-)  just kidding...

> In our case, an APRS packet can be heard over the repeater, only
> when the repeater is active.

I normally would get really silly at this point and ask how would
you be able to hear the problem when the repeater is not active...
but listening to the repeater input frequency is one of a few possible
tests you might try.  In cases where friends and fellow hams have
remote bases on their repeaters ... you can sometimes ask them to
program their remotes to your repeater input frequency for testing.

> Sometimes it's very weak and is only heard during the squelch
> tail, other times it's strong enough to overpower repeater
> users.  The strange part is that when I tune to 144.39, the
> interfering signal on the repeater coincides perfectly with packets
> coming across that frequency. This makes me think that it's not
> just someone with a radio on the wrong frequency. I haven't been
> able to record this happening yet, but hopefully I will soon...
> I've got a VOX recording program running now.

Your really don't need to record the problem signal... but you should
try to decode the source radio, which might be an aprs type node.
Contact the node owner and ask him about the aprs system. Before you
point a finger... make sure your own equipment is clean and working
well/properly.

I've seen a lot of well intentioned hams place amateur grade radio
gear direct to an antenna at a busy repeater site. Often they don't
know their non band-pass filter protected ham radio makes a real
nice high powered mountain top located signal mixer. Your problem
might be that simple... and it might not be...

> Hopefully we'll be able to track down the APRS signal source,

A great idea...  one of the first things I'd do.

> but how is it ending up in the repeater?  Is this an intermod thing?

It's a "groove thing"... actually it can get into your equipment via
a number of methods. Your equipment, his/their equipment and a third
or fourth party at some other location might even be a player in the
fun. Even the phone and power wires make nice antennas in the wrong
application.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Andy KB9JOZ

Find the aprs radio source, be nice to the other guy (the spirit of
amateur radio) and see what type of equipment he/they are using. You
didn't describe what repeater equipment you're using so we can't know
where to point the problem finger until we have all the proper
information.

Report back what you find...

cheers,
skipp