Nate Duehr wrote:
> If you go with WET-11's get a number of extras.  My experience with
> them in static/lightning conditions (not direct strikes - just active
> thunderstorm condx) was poor.  Popped a number of them internally,
> some replaced under warranty, others out of warranty.  Even
> un-plugging/plugging one into its own wall-wort power supply blew one
> of the early models here.  They're definitely "consumer grade"
> made-in-China crap, especially compared with the equipment quality
> most of us use on our repeater systems.  By the time you buy a few
> spares and spend a summer replacing them (luckily my adventure with
> them never got that far!), you'll wish you bought something designed
> to be outdoors in the elements on a tower.

I have a number of these in service (like about 20).  Some have been in
service for 4 years, or more.  A lot of the problems with the earlier
WET's was due to the firmware.  I use 1.5.8 in my V1 units and have no
lock-up problems.  Lock-ups were the biggest issue I have seen, not
simply 'blowing-up'.

> I think if you're planning on more than a season or two of service out
> of it, I'd spent a few (a lot?) more bucks and go with something from
> Tranzeo or Trango Wireless.

At $40 a piece, you can replace them many many times before it becomes
cost inefficient.  That being said, running good firmware, using good
installation practices, and lightning protection, I have had years of
service out of them.  No I wouldn't use them to replace my Trango
back-haul, but those devices (at least the AP's ) cost over $1000 each,
while subscriber clients are $300 to $600 each.

I don't believe the original poster needed (or wanted) 5, 9's of
reliability.