Ok guys ... here is what I found.

It is not Motorola proprietary format, but rather it is ETSI (European
Technical Standards Institute) (standard number ETSI TS102 361-1).  It is a
DQPSK scheme.  This is a published standard, and I just might start pursuing
its use rather than D-star at this point.

James WJ1D

On 3/2/07, Jim B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

James wrote:
> Ok, one more thought here.  Does anyone know if MOTOTRBO uses the
IS-54/IS-136
> standard for TDMA?  If so, I have found publicly available information
on this
> standard which means that it could be put to use in the amateur bands.
>
> James

As far as I can tell, it's a proprietary Motorola format designed for
business and industrial use.
It should be legal on the ham bands, as long as it's not encrypted, so
anyone should be able to buy a radio off the shelf, program it, and talk.
I don't know if there is any prohibition on the emission class, probably
not. It should fall under an FSK format.

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL