I bought one of Al's early release controllers and have had it in
service for six months or so now. He was nice enough to replace my
first firmware with an updated version to fix a bug or two, although
whatever he fixed had not caused me any problems.

My repeater is interfaced into EchoLink, and I documented my interface
and sent a schematic and writeup along to Al to post on his web site
when he has a chance. I am using the CTCSS decode in the PSE508
controller to control access to both the repeater and EchoLink, and
works like a charm. I was able to pull the GE decoder out and go with
just the PSE508.

He has another neat option in the PSE508-2 which allows in-band linking
to EchoLink or IRLP. He encodes CTCSS and has the option to terminate
the encode as soon as a user unkeys, so the ID and squelch tail/bubble
up are not transmitted to the linked system. This is one of the few
controllers to offer this option. I have an old Zetron 38A on a
repeater with an inband link using this trick and works like a charm.

73 - Jim W5ZIT

Nate wrote:

You also forgot to mention Al Psion's "GE card cage" controller too
-- it's a NEAT product for a stand-alone GE MASTR II station-based
repeater. He's already put out a few different versions of firmware
and has some nifty ideas for that controller up his sleeves too.

Recently an e-mail I sent him lead to a very nice phone conversation
about how an IRLP node might be linked into his controller, and while
it'd take some effort, Al was more than willing to offer up ideas and
point out things about the controller on the schematic that I hadn't
noticed in passing.

I can say wholeheartedly that Al is definitely another "good guy" to
have building controllers in our hobby, and if I ever find enough
time to finish up my personal "backyard" repeater, it'll probably
have one of Al's controllers in it -- I don't need anything fancy,
and of course, I'm a big MASTR II fan... just because I'm more
comfortable with them than anything else... so Al's controller in a
card slot will probably do "just fine" for what I'm looking to do.

Hopefully, I can return his thoughtfulness and document anything I
come up with that works well for hanging IRLP off the station with
his controller in it.

- WY0X