I purchased a COM3010 shortly after it was released and have been
extremely happy with it.  It has gone back to the factory for
complete software and calibration upgrade once since new.  Ramsey
says they have sold over 400 of them since release.

Pros:
Small, light, easy to operate and carry to sites.
Simple straightforward operation.
Long battery life.
Full duplex operation
Signal generator down to -140dBm
RSSI meter.

Major Cons:
No scope
No spectrum analyzer

I wanted a NEW service monitor with a warranty so I didn't consider
an old IFR unit.  I have an Areoflex 2944B on the horizon but for
basic day to day ham operation where I just need to check radios and
repeaters to ensure they are on frequency, check power, do SINAD
measurements, and ensure deviation is set correctly, while not
lugging around a Motorola R2600D, the COM3010 is ideal in my
opinion.

I have a scope and have access to separate spectrum analyzers and
have also considered an Instek GSP-810, Hameg, or B&K unit that run
in $3000 range to compliment my 3010.  That's still half the price of
the 2944B or other monitor.

I highly recommend the COM3010.  I could do a lot more with a higher
end service monitor but I am not rich and felt this was a good
investment and it has proved to be.  I still see some hams putting
stuff on the air without virtually any checks and folks setting
audio levels by ear without any test equipment.  A COM3010 moves
that process forward considerably even without a scope and SA.

Again, an old used service monitor was not an option for me.  I
heartily recommend the COM3010, especially if you have no service
monitor at all now.

73,
Chuck
KX7ID

Disclaimer:  I have no connection whatsoever with Ramsey other than
being a customer of a few of their kits and a COM3010.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, Vincent Caruso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Ramsey COM3010 Service
Monitor