We have a couple of the "mobile sticking out the back" PA's that we
will look at.

We'll find the best exciter/PA combination that gives the best
efficency. So the original question was answered, the power control
pot can be converted to a dual level pot, but at the expense of
efficency.

It's never as easy as it looks. Thanks to all (once again).

Dwayne Kincaid
WD8OYG

> GE made a number of PAs for the MII all to be driven by the
exciter.  I think the lowest for normal mobiles was 35 watts.  Also
the Exec II PAs will work.

> A 35 W set at 35 W draws about 7 Amps and at 20 will drop to 4 Amp.
>
> 73, ron, n9ee/r
>

> >From: Nate Duehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: 2007/10/17 Wed PM 07:24:39 CDT
> >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Reducing power out when on battery
backup.

> >On Oct 16, 2007, at 10:10 PM, ldgelectronics wrote:
> >
> >> It looks like the seperate small amp will be the best solution in
> >> terms of maximum battery life. I checked another repeater on the
> >> bench tonight and found pretty much the same thing as Ron
mentioned.
> >> You can lower the RF power, but the efficency gets worse.
> >
> >After having read along the entire thread, I think you're
probably
> >right -- another PA that's more efficient at the lower power
setting
> >will work best for you, at least to get the project going.  The
trick
> >is finding PA's with 250mW inputs, which is pretty low for
most "HT"
> >type PA's, etc.
> >
> >(It's not shown on their website, but Henry will modify their
PA's
> >for a 250mW input, according to a recent e-mail exchange I had
with
> >them about a Henry that the club owns but hasn't been useful to
us,
> >since we went to the MASTR II Station/Repeaters.)
> >
> >Anyway, to add more ideas -- I just thought I'd mention that there
is
> >a lower-power VHF stock MASTR II PA that only has the driver
board,
> >minus the final board, that has a coax jumper across to the low-
pass
> >filter board.  Once in a while you see them on eBay.
> >
> >I believe it's 40W continuous-duty, but I'd have to go check the
LBI's.

> >There are also the "mobile sticking out the back" style
of "station"
> >PA's that are just the back end of a mobile sticking through a
> >mounting plate that fits where the stock GE PA goes.  They're not
> >"officially" rated for continuous-duty, but could be turned down
to a
> >fairly low power if they had the same "modification" to remove
the
> >final board, and/or some came that way.  (Again, I'd have to go
pull
> >up the LBI's for those to see how many different "varieties" GE
made.)

> >Any of those other stock lower-power GE PA's could be switched in
and
> >out by switching the exciter's output between the two PA's using a
RF-
> >rated relay, etc.
> >
> >Just another thing to think about... if you can find them.
> >
> >I have only run across one of the low-power VHF continuous-duty
PA's,