There is an additional factor that can cause deterioration of repeater
coverage when PA power
is significantly increased. It's broadband noise. Increasing PA power
increases the intensity
and coverage of the induction field which risks stimulating close aboard
rusty joints and even
dissimilar mental joints into behaving like broadband generators which will
end up as noise on
your own receiver channel. It doesn't help that it also ends up on every
other receiver channel
at the site. The potential consequence is to turn the repeater into an
alligator. And adding
additional cavities to the receiver and/or the transmitter is an exercise  in
futility because the
junk you experience is dead on-channel.  Sure, some sites may be well  enough
maintained
to preclude this result, but the maintenance at my site has dropped to just
about zero in
recent years and cranking up power would produce a cure that's worse than
the disease.

Bruce K7IJ

In a message dated 10/19/2007 12:34:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,