  From: Mark Thompson
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Cc: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com ; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 12:08 PM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] FCC's Riley Hollingsworth to Retire in January
2008

  FCC's Riley Hollingsworth to Retire in January 2008

  Riley Hollingsworth, Special Counsel in the FCC's Enforcement Bureau,
announced his retirement this week, effective Friday, January 3, 2008. While
his successor has not been named, Hollingsworth was quick to point out that the
FCC's Amateur Radio enforcement program will continue.

  Hollingsworth told the ARRL: "After about a year of thinking about the 'if
not now, when?' question, I decided to retire January 3. I love working for the
FCC and I've always had great jobs, but this one involving the Amateur Radio
Service has been the most fun and I have enjoyed every day of it. For nine
years I've worked with the best group of licensees on earth, enjoyed your
support and tremendous FCC support and looked forward every day to coming to
work. The Amateur Radio enforcement program will continue without missing a
beat, and after retirement I look forward to being involved with Amateur Radio
every way I can. I thank all of you for being so dedicated and conscientious,
and for the encouragement you give us every day."

  Speaking at the New England Division Convention in August 2000, Hollingsworth
offered his 10 personal suggestions to secure a sound future for Amateur Radio,
encouraging amateurs to "seize the moment" to ensure a bright future for
Amateur Radio. "Look beyond enforcement," he urged, "because if I do my job
right, in five years you won't even remember my name." Hollingsworth said that
while no one can predict the future, amateurs must invent theirs in an era of
converging digital and RF technology. "There is no reason why our Amateur Radio
Service can't be the envy of the rest of the world," he said. Getting there, he
suggested, comes with each amateur's taking responsibility for his or her
behavior on the air. Amateurs should encourage arrogant, negative operators to
"take their anger and hate to the Internet," he said. "Every minute they are on
the Internet is a minute they aren't on Amateur Radio."

  ARRL Chief Operating Officer Harold Kramer, WJ1B, said, "Riley Hollingsworth
has been a tremendous supporter of and asset to the Amateur Radio Service. He
will be remembered as being the force behind the re-introduction of Amateur
Radio enforcement in 1998 and continuing those efforts through today. His
contribution in cleaning up the amateur bands has been substantial and
effective. While we are very sorry to see him go, and we wish him every
continued success."