I also ran RTTY and had a DXer a few houses away (actually
about 750-900 feet...), only mine was 2m FM and he was
2m SSB.

My audio oscillator was a one-transistor oscillator with an
88mh toroid in the collector, and a feedback coil I added
that fed back to the base.  A second added winding was
the output to the next stage.  A capacitor resonated at
1975, and a polar relay contact added a second cap in
parallel to drop it to 2125.

Anyway, the solution was to switch the added cap
with a FET, which was controlled by a flip-flop, which
was triggered by the output of a comparator chip (the
part number of LM311 comes to mind).
The comparator chip generated a blip at zero crossing.

End result was that the audio tone changed frequency
at zero crossing instead of at random points in the
audio waveform.

Your method sounds more elegant.

Mike WA6ILQ