Pre OS boot machine BIOS on most modern P3 class or newer laptops can
see a usb drive device such as a floppy, cdrom or in P4 and later
cases now flash drives. For the most part anything P3 800 or older
will not see a flash drive without a software driver sub system...
however in many cases P3 laptops with usb ports can be set to detect
disk drives to boot from... even if internal bays are available but
unpopulated.

PII versions, all bets are off...

CF27's came as PII's and PIII's...depending on age...

Doug